Serenje District is situated along the great north road about 108km north of Mkushi and 50km south of Chitambo District. It is bordered with Petauke on the Eastern and Congo DR on the western part. It has a total population of 107, 343 and a growth rate of 3.5% (CS0 2010 census).
The district is endowed with rich fertile soils and a number of water bodies both annual and perennial. It receives adequate rainfall due to its close proximity to the equator. It is home to the Nansanga Farm Block, one of the
biggest farm blocks in the Country. The other farm blocks include the Luombwa, Kasanka, Munte and Saasa, which are not fully developed.
- The District has high investment potential for setting up Agro Processing Industries primarily because of the availability of raw agro produce from the farming community.
- There is potential for investments in Agriculture, Fisheries and Livestock Production due to availability of fertile alluvial soils capable of supporting various forms of agriculture.
- Investment in irrigation agriculture due to availability of water bodies, annual, perennial streams and rivers
The District has potential for investments in tourism especially around the Kundalila falls situated along Great North road, about 11km away from the main road which has not been fully explored. With investments in accommodation and game ranching the District could easily attract tourist visits from users of the great north road due to its proximity to the road.
- Investment in infrastructure development in tourism particularly accommodation and transportation
- Investment in tour operating services and tourism marketing services
- Investment in game ranching
Serenje District is rich in mineral resources such as manganese, copper ores and gold. However, this sector has not been fully explored. Most mining activities currently taking place are at small scale to artisanal level and pockets of small scale illegal miners. The only notable activities taking place include scale manganese processing plants at PLR and SAFAL. The key mineral deposits in the District include;
- Iron Ore
- Silica Sand
- Copper ore
The District would want investments in the mining sector focusing on;
- Mining and Mineral exploration
- Setting up of Mining Plants to mine one of the minerals
- Manganese Processing Industries
The District’s potential for Investments in the manufacturing industry is high because of the availability of raw materials from the Agriculture sector, availability of good road network, proximity to big markets in the Congo DR and among Eastern Countries via Tanzania. The available land would support investments in production schemes such as out grower schemes in the agriculture sector to ensure production of raw materials to feed whatever industries are set up, especially those related to the Agriculture sector.
- Investment in Processing Industries for both agriculture and mining products
- Investment in energy and power generation
- Fertile soils favorable for different forms of agriculture
- Easily accessible by road and rail (Great North road and Tazara railway line)
- Availability of water bodies, perennial streams, and rivers for agriculture
- Rich in various minerals (Gold, Manganese, Copper Ores)
- Availability of power energy (Hydro, wind, solar)
- Availability of skilled and non-skilled labour force
- Adequate rainfall for agriculture
- Investment in development real estates and modern housing Development
- Availability modern Banking facilities